Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Harvest '13


There is a lot to be said about being in the wide open spaces. Two weeks ago we were knee deep in all of the activities associated with wheat and canola harvest. Both of which by the way Owen loves and Harper just so happens to secretly enjoy being at the farm. Owen spent plenty of time rotating from combine to wheat truck, to hay hauling truck to tuckered out... (Which happens to be the cost of going 100mph, he gets so excited about farming!)




He even made a new friend along the way....


Harper spent much of her time "helping" Grandma Marks, one of their favorite activities is preparing brownies and fixing lunch. It is truly special time they get to spend together that I am sure Grandma loves. Owen became my number-one-hay-fork-operator this year as it was our job to move the 25 hay bails to farm, he rode shotgun in the middle clutching the hydraulic switch the whole time. He took this job very seriously, as is indicated by the picture taken shortly after he told me "I want you to run the hay fork downer", I'm sure he wanted me to gain the valuable experience he was so closely guarding.  I know I've said it before, but I consider myself lucky to be able to give my kids this experience of growing up farming and truly learning the value of hard work, getting dirty, eating sandwiches in the field together and helping other people.  It is an experience I hope will have a lasting effect in shaping their futures. I truly cherish this time spent with my sidekicks! 



No comments: