Sunday, July 7, 2013

Lets hit the water...

For my birthday I had one request, money to be put toward the purchase of a second kayak. I have had the blue kayak for nearly 5 years now. They only draw back has been that I have to use it by myself.  After adding the new kayak to the mix the kiddos and myself were very excited to get it out and into the water. Early on the Monday morning after making the purchase we loaded the boats up and headed out to the river, packed our water, sunscreened up, and we were ready. This was going to be Harper's first solo kayak, which made me slightly nervous, but she assured me she was ready. She climbed in and I launched her from the ramp, she quickly paddled off like she had been doing it for years, which was a promising beginning. 



Then Owen and I climbed into my kayak together, launched and paddled off after her. Then the Oklahoma wind decided to factor in to our adventure. Harper was having a bit of a learning curve, which wasn't helped by the wind gusts.  We paddled around for a little bit and then the struggles began. While we were attempting to paddle back towards the ramp the wind was trying to let us know that wasn't the best idea. Harper got a little frustrated with the wind and Owen was hollering at her to "stop smashing into stuff", as she was trying to avoid the shore and the overhanging trees, thanks wind gusts. We finally made it back to a shore, got everyone ashore and proceeded to drag our boats the 200 yards back to the car. All in all it was a successful trip no one hated it and I was able to get everyone back out this morning for some paddling fun. We were joined by Melissa, which helped the kids enthusiasm. I am very excited for the future river adventures my family and I may be having....


No comments: